Thursday, December 18, 2008

Misery: Day Four (Car Crash!)

Well, it wasn't really a car crash. I didn't hit another car, nor was much damage done to my car, but I did scream a lot and there was a broken head light involved.

It was like a scene from a bad movie: I was just sitting there, waiting at a stop light when all of a sudden my car started to move. There was lots of ice on the road, and I was attempting to get home safely, but as it turns out driving wasn't what I should have been worried about. I guess a patch of ice under my car gave out because it started sliding straight to a large pole, like a magnet. A car-pole-demon magnet.

Like the news always tells me to do, I didn't slam on the brakes. Rather, I screamed like a little girl and turned the wheel, trying to pull away from the pole and save what I was imaging to be a very frightful accident. But the car just kept sliding and, indeed, I did run into the pole. Reversing out of it was the worse because the pole started to jiggle back and forth and I thought it just my luck for it break at the bottom, crash on my car, and trap my burning corpse (because the car would no doubt spontaneously burst into flame) in the wreckage. Then I would have to be in the hospital for God knows how long, getting dead people's skin grafted to my ass.

All of this flashed through my head as I tried to save my car.

When I got home and was in a safe enough position to asses the damage, I was pleased to see that all that had happened was the plastic cover that protects my light was broken. Although that probably means that the light is also broken, it is not nearly as bad as it could have been. I could have caused a huge pileup, but thankfully I was not on a major road; I was waiting to turn onto one.

All's well that ends well, in the view of a teleological thinker (which I am not).

18

2 comments:

TC said...

Great Blog, got address from blogger groups.

Lily W said...

Pffff, that's why I love NYC's subway. Glad it wasn;t that bad. :-)