Tuesday, November 11, 2008

To spawn or not to spawn?

Lover and I have been talking more in depth about having children. No, wait! Let me correct that: Lover and I have been talking more in depth about having a child (as much as he wants to pass on five boys in a litter, I utterly refuse; if I can't stand it as the girlfriend how on earth could I stand it as the mother?). If any child is coming out of me, it will be a one time thing. I'm not particularly keen on having children of my own, and if Lover and I decided to pass on his beautiful genes, only one child will come out of it.

But I digress. The question that came out of our talk was this: What do we do?

I'm getting my Ph. D, which means I have a lot more college to go through before I can contribute to the support of our household. And even though Lover will be out and working before me, is it enough to keep a home and baby afloat?

Should we plan the baby so that by the time I'm out of college and working Baby is in preschool or kindergarten and we don't have to worry about daycare, or should we wait until I have a steady job as well as Lover?

If we have Baby while I'm in college, will his salary be enough to support us all? Will I take Baby to class with me while he is at work, or do I take Baby to my college's daycare center? But what if the daycare isn't an interactive one and Baby becomes behind in cognitive and social abilities? (Such are the problems those of us who are psychologists have.... We over analyze everything when it comes it our kids because of what we have been taught.)

If we decided to wait until after I get my Ph. D...

Will I stay home until school starts for our child and then get a job? But then Lover will miss out on so much, and I don't want that to happen. So does he stay home until school starts and then get a job of his own? But then I miss out. So do we send Baby to daycare and hope it's a good one that will help development? But then we both miss out.

Will our child be like me as I was when I was a teenager (4.0, smart, rebellious, sassy, mean) or will it be like him (4.0, genius, generous, caring, well behaved)?

What is a good age to have children? Late 20's so we will be young when they are teenagers? 30's so we will be better off but closer to old age when we might need our youth the most? 40's so we can support Baby for sure but nearly decrypted when Baby is Teenager?

We both want to work for the FBI, me as a Criminal Psychologist and he as a Forensics Investigator, so what sort of affect will that have on Baby? And if we don't join the FBI, I would work in an asylum most likely and Lover might be with the police force. That doesn't sound like a healthy environment for a baby either!

Thoughts and opinions? Stories of your own?

1 comment:

Lily W said...

Voting for late 20s or early 30s. 40s=in vitro=twins=no sleep ever=hell.
:-)